Tuesday, October 28, 2008

rice pipes

Today was a most interesting day. It started out as most days do...nothing out of the ordinary. I try not to tidy up while the Wardlings are still here. It defeats my efforts. Once the Wardlings, except for those of us who stay home, were out the door, it was time to tidy up the joint. How does a house become so cluttered? It seems that it is clean when I go to bed, but dirty again when I wake up. How does that happen? In my efforts to clean up the remaining dishes, I noticed that my sink was backing up. This has happened in the past, and the disposal clears the clog. I tried the disposal to nothing. The water went from one sink to the other, without draining. Crud. I get the plunger and try to plunger the sink. Complete failure. I call my Mom to see what her best advice would be. (My Dad is a plumber BTW.) She tells me what to do, but then offers my brother and another worker to come and take a peek @ it. Luckily another team of workers from my Dad's business were here in the Emerald City and they came in my brother's stead. They disassembled the pipes under the sink, to find the main pipe packed, PACKED with rice and some oatmeal. I remembered that I asked one of our daughters to do the dishes yesterday and instead of placing the food in the disposal, she put it down the other sink. Well, once it was all cleaned out, one of my Dad's workers went to clean out the disposal and it rotted off into his hand. They can't selvage it. We must have a new one. Double crud! We knew when we bought the house that it would need replacing and today was it's death. So, one of the men left to get a disposal while the other one stayed here to finish up under the sink. When the first worker returned they quickly installed it and told us that it had been months since they had installed one, due to the construction freeze. Once the disposal was in, one of the workers tells the other one that there is a crack in our pipe, so that also had to be replaced. Then they noticed that there wasn't a slashing under the sink and they caulked it for me as well. Wow! what an adventure! I am so very thankful to my parents and all of their help today. I don't know what I would've done without it! Thank You, Thank You!

2 comments:

Jen said...

You poor lady! At least they found everything while they were there.

ashley said...

me too!