Monday, February 16, 2009

rapunzel fairy tale gone bad

Penny's speech school has been having their book fair this past week. It has been quite entertaining to read all the books that were on the shelf and not buy them. oh wait...the library does that too... Anyway, today Jacob was book shopping picking up all sorts of different books. I read him, 'A Bear must have Eaten it' 3 times and ended up purchasing it for him. After reading that book, he brought me Rapunzel. In my 2nd grade year of school, my teacher, Mrs. Cox had Rapunzel on record (you remember records, record players right??) and during my center time, I would go over and listen to the story Rapunzel, while following along in the book. Rapunzel, in the 2nd grade, was my favorite story. I was heartbroken each time I heard that Rapunzel's parents had to give her up, while thinking that those must be some tasty turnips to eat in exchange for their baby. I was also saddened each time when the prince fell into the thicket of thorns scratching his eyes out. But yet so happy that they found each other and their true love, and that they lived happily ever after.
Today's Rapunzel was a bit different. It was an ethnic Rapunzel. The characters all had cornrows. Anyway, the story was kinda the same with the Mom being pregnant and craving turnips and the Dad sneaking into the witches garden and snatching them for his pregnant wife to Rapunzel's extremely long hair and the witch (& prince for that matter) climbing up the tower using Rapunzel's hair. The difference in the story that I read today, was that the prince visited her everyday for a month, before the witch caught wind of it, grew jealous, cutting Rapunzel's hair and making her live in the dessert. And since it was all magic, Rapunzel gave birth to twin boys, whilest in her banishment and it was a year and a half before the prince found her singing in some village. WHAT?? What type of magic is that?? Obviously there was more happening in that tower than singing and gayly gazing into one another's eyes. {wink, wink}

No comments: