Monday, November 17, 2008

spin me a yarn



Libby's 5th grade class had a science project to complete and it was due today. We were going to get some 'help' from Erin's last year project, but decided against it. We thought for a while and thought about the different types of yarn...natural, blends, and synthetic. Then we wondered which one would shrink the most. That's what we did. I helped her out and knitted 2 swatches from the different types of yarn that I had on hand; wool, alpaca/ acrylic blend, cotton, cotton/ acrylic blend, and acrylic. Then she washed and dried one of them giving us the results. I thought it was alot of fun to felt the wool. When we dried our swatches, we didn't know that a blue crayon had been placed in the dryer. Thankfully, I had just taken out the load of semi-dry clothes to put the swatches in. The crayon melted all in the dryer and on the swatches of yarn, but not on the entire load of clothes. I flipped out when I saw the blue mess. It took awhile to get the blue out of the dryer. On the positive side, crayon melts, so I had to run the dryer long enough to re-melt the crayon and wipe it clean. This step took some time and some effort. Anyway, thanks to Michelle A., we were able to cricut the titles for the section, saving a bunch of time. I think that it turned out sweet!







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are what the historians of this generation will look back and call a "supermom".

Heidi said...

cute project!I hope she gets a good grade!

ashley said...

me too! :)

dena4kids said...

That sucks about the crayon!!! Don't you just love the "little" surprises our kids leave us!LOL Nice project Libby! Thankfully we haven't had to do one yet.=)