Wednesday, November 26, 2008

'play' fighting


Last night, I happened to be chatting with Maylee on the phone when I heard a huge bang. Penny has picked up on how much fun it is to slam doors. So, when I heard the slam, I thought that it was Penny slamming the bathroom door shut. Within a few seconds of hearing the slam, I heard crying. Not a good combo. It turns out that Penny didn't slam the door, but Jacob had hit his head. After some prying, it appears, that Josh and Jacob were 'play' fighting and Jacob went to kick Josh. Josh grabbed Jacob's foot and by doing so, Jacob lost his balance and came crashing down on the hard floor. After comforting him, keeping him awake, and making him ice packs, he began to complain of fuzzy vision and within 5 minutes or so he was standing over the toilet complaining that he was going to throw-up. That's when I called our pediatrician to see what I needed to do. It was advised that we take him into the ER. Now, here's where it gets tricky...Clyde accidentally took my keys to work with him yesterday. (He had already started his car and needed to get into the trunk, so he used my keys and put them in his pocket and drove off with them. yippee!)
I called my sister to see if she was home and if she could come over to sit with the other Wardlings and let me use her car to take Jacob to the ER. She was here in about 5 minutes. (Thank YOU!!) She walked in handed me her keys, I got Jacob's carseat in her car, along with Jacob and we were o.f.t to the hospital.
It must have been a light nite @ the hospital, because there weren't tons of people there. We checked in, sat in the lobby, and Jacob looks at me and says. "I'm going to frow up." leans over the chair and proceeds to throw up all over the floor. MMM...wheat pancakes! We got some 'ew...s out of the people waiting and when the nurse asked why he was there, I told him that he had hit his head. We were immediately taken into another room and vitals taken. We were then taken back to the pediatric wing, where he was given some Zofran to settle his tummy. Within 30 min. or so, we were seen by the ER pediatrician and then another 30 minutes later we were taken back to have a CT scan. Then it was the waiting game. Really it wasn't more than 45 minutes of so. Long story to say that he has a mild concussion, but he is fine. No skull damage or brain damage, no hemorrhaging. All good news...except for the concussion that is. He was to take it easy and we were to wake him up @ least once during the night to make sure he was fine.
Meanwhile...I had been trying to get ahold of Clyde on his cell, but there was no answer. He was @ a basketball game with no reception. I texted him several times, to no response. He didn't find out about what happened until after the game, to which he was flying home to get to us. We were trying to call each other from either the road or hospital but no cell phone reception. Thank goodness for texts! He did make it to the hospital in time to check out and take Jacob home. Ricky, Clyde's brother and girlfriend Myra came over to sit with the Wardlings, while Clyde and Raegen drove to the hospital. (Raegen was getting her car.) Thanks again to Raegen, Ricky, and Myra!
So, we had a busy nite last night, but thankfully Jacob is fine...taking it slow, but just fine.

1 comment:

Suzanne Lineberry said...

:( and a happy thansgiving to you!!