Tuesday, November 18, 2008

parent's panel



I have mentioned in the past that we belong to the Family Support Network here in the Emerald City. It is a group that offers support for families who have special needs children. About 2-3 weeks ago, I got an email telling the parents in the group, that our local UNCG was asking for a parents panel to talk about our IEP process, for a class of undergrad students who are wanting to become EC teachers. Well, after thinking about it for a day, I submitted my name. A week went by to no response, so I figured that the panel had been filled. A day or so later, I got an e-mail from the teacher's assistant, to whom needed the parent panel, saying that I had been selected to talk about our experiences. I was so thrilled. We have 2 children with IEP's in place and so this was my opportunity to talk about the crap we had to endure to get and IEP in place for one of our children. The years of struggling, anxiety, tears, frustration, nasty letters, etc. These issues were equal in weight after the IEP was in place, as they were before. This was my chance to put in these young sweet, dough-eyed students how we were treated, how long this journey has been and continues to be, and how not to treat others in this same boat. I was accompanied by 2 other Moms, one of which had quadruplets, with one having autism. The other mother has a young 18 month old daughter who has a rare genetic disorder which is degenerative. There are only 51 known cases of this disorder in the world. Clyde gave me about 2 minutes before I got emotional, to which I lasted 5. We Moms, each told our stories with our children and their special needs. I had something like 10+ pages of notes to share within the allotted 20 minutes. This was a wonderful opportunity, one that I think that had I not shared with others, it would have been a regret. Thanks to Michelle A. for coming over and watching the young Wardlings while they slept and opening the door for the older Wardlings after school! Thank you!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Professor Ward....I like the sound of that.

dena4kids said...

Wow what an opportunity! I am sure you did a wonderful job! I don't think I could have lasted a minute before I got emontional.