Tuesday, May 19, 2009

compromise

I was a bad mom this morning. It all has to do with Twilight. I have felt that our girls were a bit young to read the series. Especially when the series moves on to the last book. There are some things that I feel can wait until they are a bit older. I made an agreement with Libby that if she read the entire Harry Potter series, that she could start reading some of the Twilight books like one and maybe two.... (though 2 is so utterly sad for Bella.) I don't think that she liked that plan. All of her friends @ school are reading the series and she in turn has been pumping them for information about the series. I think by me saying that I'd like her to wait, it has fueled her curiosity and so she is sneaking around doing all but reading the series through her friends. Libby loves to read and I would like her to have other books read before moving on the the more teen to grown-up book series. Am I contradicting myself with asking her to read HP first?

She is trying out for a talent contest this week. She wanted to use Yiruma's River Flow through you, which to me is Bella's lullaby...(On the net before the movie and I love that piece of music) and Queen's We will rock you, for a jump roping routine with a friend. No biggie. Then this morning she is asking what Edward said to Bella when he told her he could play piano. And she made it sound like she was using the line as apart of her routine. That's when I questioned her about the jump rope routine and the Twilight books came up. I'm afraid that I got a bit loud. I made her upset. And all on the 1st morning of the EOG's. She is dying to fit in with her friends and I am preventing it. I am still strongly opinionated that she is too young for the books...she's 10! Am I being a tyrant overbearing mother and really when I ask that, I do not want an answer. Since she has seen the movie, would it be more of a compromise to allow the reading of the first book only?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You see what happens when you bring those devil books into your home? Vampires, wizards, female athletes. All these things are unnatural.
-clyde

Anonymous said...

If it helps, you can tell Libby that I am just as mean of a mom. Sarah is not allowed to read the books yet, either. Even Kelsey told her that they were too old for her. There is so much time ahead of them, they just seem to think they have to rush, so sad!

Cathy said...

I'm sorry! I'm so glad I've hopefully got several years before I have to deal with those issues. I totally agree with your decision about Twilight series. And, I think reading the books (especially for girls) is a more intense experience than say watching the movie would be. And, I think HP is different. I don't think that's hypocritical. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

That stuff is witchcraft!! You are a good mother though. This too shall pass.

dena4kids said...

It's hard to know when to let them read them. I think the books are a bit more detailed than the movie. That being said they have picked up more from just riding the bus than is in the books. I told Emma she could read Twilight just to get her to read, but she hasn't. So good luck with Libby! I am sure she will forgive you...someday.=)

maylee said...

Wow, good luck w/ that one. I know Libby can be very head strong sometimes. And i don't think you are "preventing" her from fitting in w/ her peers. Libby might live by some different standards than some of her other peers, so maybe reminding her of that might help her understand your reasons for things right now a little better. And maybe while you are at it, you could explain to Clyde that SOME female athletes are better than some male ones ;)!...just sayin'!

Julee said...

Hi! Here's what Auntie Jul thinks about it. Amanda (12) has seen the movie and read some of the books. I think it's a case by case issue, depending on maturity of the child. Working with children, I have to admit they are maturing way earlier these days, but it's the world they live in. I would much rather have Amanda read and talk about it with me, than sneak to do so, and that's what many of her friends are doing. My take is that if she comes across content that is over her head, it will be just that, over her head. She may or may not inquire about it. I'm an avodate for reading and getting kids hooked into books. I must admit this series has really hooked them. I think as parents, if we are reading Twilight, but not allowing children to, we are sending the message that--it's okay for me, but not for okay for you. But then I also have a problem with terms like "adult language" too--what is that??? Good/bad enough for adults ears, but not for children's??? As for "devil books" I need to chat with that nephew of mine!!
Love Y'all!

ashley said...

i love that libby loves to read. she is always talking to me about books and stories. i agree with the 'sneaking' part. i was just hoping that libby would experience more age appropriate literature before jumping into the realm of teen literature @ the age of 10. i mean what happened to "anne of green gables?" i think that twilight should be more of a right of passage type thing, something to look forward to, like eye shadow, shaving, YW's, girls camp, middle school, etc. there is a time and place for them. the same goes for the more adult themed books. i wouldn't let josh read any of chuck palahniuk, just because clyde likes the author and enjoys reading his books. i will keep my end of the bargain with twilight after she reads HP. (that determining how fast she can get to twilight mind you...) i love the series and they are pretty clean, and i am looking forward to sharing it. i just feel that now, since she is only 10 years old, she's too young.
and auntie jul- feel free to talk to your nephew anytime. he just likes to stir the pot...just ask maylee... tee hee...:)

thanks for everyone's input. this has been nice!! :)

maylee said...

Hey, so Jared wanted me to relay his thoughts as he cannot access this blog from his work. He says that you should allow her to read the first book, if she reads the same amount of scriptures or church related literature. That's his take....always tryin to increase that Gospel knowledge! It's one of the many things i love so much about him :)