Thursday, May 21, 2009

baby copperhead

Clyde and I are going on this years youth Trek. In preparation we have been walking every night. Tonight, I decided to leash up Uno for our walk. We made it to the driveway, turned to walk up the street when I happened to look down and there was a baby copperhead snake on the curb. (Uno did nothing BTW.)
Thankfully our neighbor was outside and he grabbed a hoe and another flattening tool and chopped it into pieces. It's baby mouth was chopping as fast as it could to strike. It was smart of our neighbor to grab a 2nd tool to hold the snake down. This, of course, means two things...1-there is a mama somewhere and b- brothers and sisters are slithering free. We have already talked to the Wardlings about playing in the jungle and the importance of being safe. So, you've heard it here first, the snakes have begun to hatch. yipes!

4 comments:

maylee said...

We have surrounded our yard/driveway with Snake Away...we picked up about three jugs of it at Lowe's...i have a forest for a back yard, and i already saw TWO baby ones with in a day of each other...i HATE snakes so much and don't want them anywhere near me, my dog, my husband, my house, my yard..you get the picture. Good luck, be careful & and maybe you guys should pick up some stuff too!

Anonymous said...

Your neighbor grabbed his hoe? What the heck. Is she a snake killer? Uno has to go. Just another mouth to feed. I think the snake was planted so Clyde does not have to go on the trip.

Julee said...

Oh my gosh! Where do you guys live???? Too scarry for the mini Wardlings who play outside in the jungle! When we were on Guam there were lots of snakes, but they were brown tree snakes. If they bit you, you could get sick, but not deadly! I can remember finding them wrapped around the bumper of the car, the screen door, and I even found one up inside my washing machine, which was out on the back porch! Yikes! They always took me by surprise. There's something about a tropical, or humid climate that they love. At least we didn't have gators! Have a "memorable" weekend. Do you guys have plans? Love, Auntie Jul

ashley said...

hi auntie jul-
i do not take snakes well. i hope that you have a good holiday. we are hanging out this weekend @ the brown house. :) happy memorial day!