Thursday, January 29, 2009

r.i.p han solo

We are very sad today. Clyde noticed this morning that our dear pal Han Solo wasn't doing too well. He picked him up to love on him and Han's paws were cold. Clyde gave him to me and I wrapped him in one of my knitted dishcloths to warm him up. About 15 minutes after the Wardlings got on the bus, Han died in my hands. Poor thing. He was such the sweetest, poofiest hamster. He was such a good sport allowing all the Wardlings to pick up up @ will. He was the father of 27. Beloved by all.

When Clyde and Erin came home from school today, I dug a hole and we gently laid our good friend to rest, wrapped in my knitted dishcloth.

Han Solo, you were the best. We loved you and will cherish you always!

We used this opportunity to talk about death and Our Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation. I think that this allowed our Wardlings to truly see Heavenly Father's plan. It also gave us an opportunity to explain that our bodies stay here on earth when we die and that our spirits then return to Heavenly Father. We are all sad @ our loss, but I am grateful for the understanding that we have of the Plan of Salvation and for the knowledge that we can return to live with our Father in Heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job turning it into a learning experience. Hope the kids are in good spirits.