Wednesday, January 21, 2009

historical event

Clyde and his pal, Jessup, were able to get permission from their principal to go to the inauguration of our new President this week. The county that they teach in is having several days of Teacher Workdays, so there weren't any students for them to teach. They wrote a proposal to their principal, submitted interviews and articles for the local newspaper as well. I learned last night that they were on the front page in the Courier Tribune. Thankfully Jessup's wife bought a few extra copies. {hint :)}
The fellas got a 3am wake-up call and headed to the train station. Luckily they waited the 2 hours in line to buy train tickets, the day before.

They made it safe and coldly to their spot. They were located by the CSNBC station spot. The Wardlings and I watched the entire coverage in hopes of getting a glimpse of our Clyde. We never did see his face, but with the sea of people, we could have. Clyde wore the brown hat that I knitted him for Christmas and thus blended in with all the other knitted hats people wore. I felt so bad for them standing in the cold for all that time. I had hoped that they would've found some thermal underwear to wear, but no such luck. Clyde said that his knees felt like pumkins, they were so swollen from the cold.

Clyde said that with all those people there, it was so calm and peaceful. Crowded yes, but full of Brotherly love. He also said that it was quite the spiritual experience. I am so glad that Clyde and Jessup were able to go. I am very proud to say that we were represented in this historical event.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

That's amazing that he was able to go! What a priceless experience!

Anonymous said...

Rosco looks like a thug. We did represent. I am still cold. Thanks Ashley for letting Clyde go. I have your newspaper. I have a lifetime of stories to tell.

ashley said...

it was amazing and i am glad that both you fellas were able to go! thanks for the newspaper!