Thursday, September 11, 2008

quiet day

Today has been a dark and gloomy day. The perfect day to sit down with a blanket, some chocolate, and read a book.(* On a side note, Clyde is reading a book and he told me a part of it that was really cute. There are 2 angels , in heaven talking and one of them says to the other one to try chocolate when he gets to earth. The other angel asks what it is and the 1st angels says something to the affect of, "satan invented it...you'll love it." I thought that was cute.) I am on the last book in a series and I wanted to read as much of it as I could today. Today was also our quiet day. I don't know if I have mentioned quiet days or not. It is the day that we do not have any tv on...at all. Actually this happens more like 3-4 times a week. I have noticed that when the tv is on, the little Wardlings + one are at each other's necks. They argue and fight over the silliest things. I have learned my lesson and have eliminated the extra noise. It works miracles. The children can, for the most part, keep themselves entertained. I was hoping for a more quiet day than what I actually had. They didn't mind playing with each other, if I was right beside them watching them, but if I had something in my hands, like a book, some knitting needles, it tends to draw them in to argue over the same necklace when there are 3 of them, or want the same crayon etc. etc.. Once I get to a row that I have to count on, or a good part in the book, all heck breaks out. What impeccable timing on their part. What is it with children? They are all fine, until the phone rings. That was our day today. Jacob +one didn't nap either so it made it hard to focus. They were sent to bed, but didn't sleep. I told them both, when they got up, that they owed me a nap. They both agreed and I will hold them to that agreement.:)

We also had Penny's speech teacher and education teacher come today. If the first one is late then it throw off our rhythm for the day. Penny started to whine and cry when she saw her speech gal. It was so crocodile tears. I had to be a bit firm with Penny and I think it may have stunned our speech gal. I wasn't harsh, but I was firm. Saying,"No, you are staying here at the table and working with your teacher. I'm in the other room and you are fine," as I went into the living room. After that she was fine and made a bunch of new sounds. We start an additional speech program next week. She is going to be one busy little girl, working hard to get her sounds out. Some sounds and words have started to come out, but unless you have Penny-ese then it is still hard to understand what she needs or wants. She signs most of these, in conjunction with saying the words, but if you don't know the signs then it makes it even trickier. This is one of my concerns as she is moving up into the world of primary. Once in sunbeams with other children who are way more verbal, I can see it going a few ways. 1- being that they make fun of her or are short with her, making negative comments and/ or b- that she won't say anything at all. We have a spectacular sunbeams teacher, one with whom I have loved with our previous 2 children, but as it happens there were a slew of of children born the same year...something like 11 in our ward and then we've had a few move ins. It is going to be a really big class. I just don't want Penny to fall in the cracks. Mother bear, I know.

No comments: