Tuesday, March 11, 2008

penny's boo boo


Last night, I was talking to my Mother-in-law, Becki, when Penny wandered over to me. I noticed that her ear was bleeding. I got a wipie to wipe away the blood. As I looked at it further, I noticed that her earlobe had been sliced open. The cut hadn't gone through her ear, but it was a nasty little gash. So, I immediately hung up with Becki to take care of this. Clyde was already on his way home. I called the urgent care on Battleground and they closed @ 5:30. Then I called the urgent care on Lees' Chapel Road. By this time it was 7:34pm. I told the guy, who answered what had happened and asked how long they were open. "We see our last patient @ 7:30." I asked if I hurried, if they would take a peek @ it. "We see our last patient @ 7:30," was his response. Well, had this happened earlier, then I could've taken her in before 7:30. This meant that we would have to take her into Moses Cone ER to see if it needed to be stitched up. Not a fan. We call her pediatrician's office to get advice. It takes them 30 minutes to return my phone call. Connie, the nurse on call, says that if we can butterfly it together, then it should be ok. Meanwhile, Clyde came home, saw her ear and went to Wal-mart to get some of the 2nd skin stuff and to look for some butterfly bandages. Wal-mart doesn't sell butterfly bandages BTW. So, he got the 2nd skin and some other bandages. The nurse said that we'd have to get the wound to touch as we bandaged it up. This wound is pretty big and it's on Penny's little earlobe. We did our best to get the cut together, as we used the 2nd skin product and covered it with a couple of bandages. Penny wasn't happy and it took alot of arm strength to hold her head down to get that stuff on her ear. Talk about stress at the end of a day.

We asked Penny where she got her boo boo and she pointed to Uno. She was probably playing with the puppy and Uno either scratched or nibbled at her ear causing the gash.