Tuesday, March 18, 2008

d.c. and paint


For months now we have known about the 5h grade trip to D.C. We have said all along that Erin wouldn't be going. After talking about it more and more after our Christmas trip, Clyde and I were approached by our Erin asking and pleading if she could go. She even wrote us notes on how she'd like to go and why she'd like to go. This isn't a trip across town, this is a trip out of the state. Her teacher talked to us about it and told us that she was the only one not participating in the trip for the class. Now, not that I am trying to keep up with the Jones' however, I saw this as a self esteem issue with Erin. Having NF, she has alot of differences physically than her peers. She has learning disabilities, which, BTW 50% of all folks affected by this disorder do. She is just different. So after weighing the cause and effects of our decision not to let her go, we changed our minds. We couldn't have her stand out this much and then the consequences of this choice throughout the remaining school year. It would be a daily reminder of her differences amongst her peers. We were offered a scholarship, which was nice. We did still have to pay over $200 for her to go. I had to get medical forms for medication, which is really for the 'what if' scenerio. That was a headache. I got the release forms faxed over to our Pediatrician's office on Thursday of last week. The nurse, Meg called and said that they needed 2 of them...could they not make a copy of the first one that was sent in?? Anyway, I got another one faxed, but the dr.'s office didn't receive them. Then the dr.'s office didn't fax them back to the school. I called yesterday and made an arrangement to drop off a copy of the release form. I went into the office dropped off the form and told the gal that we needed two of them, one for each medication, and asked if she'd make a copy. Then I asked when they would be available for me to pick up...this is the kicker...she said that they usually need 48 hours notice. What?! I said to her that I have been in contact with the nurses since Thursday and I named names, so she said, that they should be available by the end of the day. I have found that if I name names, like, "I have been talking with Meg since Thursday." and "I had them faxed to Natalie yesterday." then I can generally get what I need earlier. It doesn't always happen, but in this case it did. After Blaklee left for the day, I loaded up the van full of Wardlings and went to the dr.'s office to pick up the forms. There is usually a charge for these types of papers, if they aren't filled out during a well- visit, but the gal was nice and said, that since they were only like 1/2 a form that she wouldn't charge me. Even better.

Ok- back to the trip. The little Wardlings and I ran around Monday picking the things up that Erin needed for her trip...deodorant, toothpaste, poncho, etc. I really wanted to get her a fanny pack. I know, I know, how tacky, but for Erin, she has to have a place for her sunglasses, because she has a Rx pair that she needs to carry, plus, her $, and things like her poncho, because chances are it will rain while they are there. I hadn't a clue as to how expensive a stinking fanny pack was. I guess it was a mixed blessing then that I forgot a camera for her to take. After we left the dr.'s office we went to Wal-Mart to pick up a disposable camera and lo and behold there was a fanny pack in my price range. Sweet. We spend some time last night packing her up to go. We packed everything that she needed, along with her fanny pack. Her class left this morning @ 6am to go to D.C. I do have to say that I made it a point to meet Erin's chaperone before the trip and because of me being this bold mother, her teacher assigned the PTA President to be her chaperone. Which BTW is a PA, so if anything medically happens, she'd be the one that you'd want with your child. It was way hard to get her on that big tour bus this morning. She, of course was oblivious, but I was really sad to see her go. I was one of the 5 parents left, when the bus pulled out of the school this morning. Why wouldn't you wait to see your child off? I made it a note to just stand & watch. I got the drivers name, just by standing there, and I could definitely have him drawn, or identify him in a police line-up, if he pulls some crazy crap. Boy, am I a nut. I came home all teary-eyed this morning. Clyde hugged me and gave me comfort. I know that she is having a blast, it is just hard for me. Her teacher said that Erin would be giving me a call tonight to check in. I hope all goes well. Keep Erin in your prayers!


Yesterday, we had these little errands to run for Erin's trip, which turned into several errands to run. I stopped in @ Michael's craft shop to buy some double pointed needles that I need to finish a sweater for Penny. I figured out, thanks to Shena, what I was doing wrong and fixed it. I have also nearly finished the first sleeve on it. I just needed a smaller pair of dpn's to finish the cuff. It is amazing all the different sizes of knitting needles that one needs to make a sweater. There are 4 sets of needles needed for this sweater. Then it was off to Target, then The Children's Place for some flops for Penny. I got 2 pairs of them last year. We loved them! Who can beat 2 for $5? I knew that's where we'd go to get them again this year. I saw them on-line, but was reminded of them when Shena called on Saturday. Thanks!! Penny picked a pair and I picked a pair. She chose green, white, and pink polka dot ones. They have green glitter on the strap. Penny screamed when she saw them..Who can deny that? And she is only 2 once, so what's a bit of glitter? After flop shopping, we headed back home, but the car turned itself into Lowe's. Since the van lead us there, we stopped to check out paint colors for the house. I chose one for the living room and one for the kitchen. I am so glad that Lowe's sells samples for me to see if I really like the colors or not. I'll keep you posted. While we were there, the kiddies had to go potty. Once that was over, I was putting the girls back into the cart, when Jacob decides to stand on the side, tipping it over. I caught this out of the corner of my eye and caught it before it fell to the ground. As I caught it and pulled it back, it smacked my leg and let me tell you OUCH!! There is a nasty bruise with a lump under it. It'll be pretty by the time I have to wear a skirt or a dress for Sunday.