Monday, March 3, 2008

knitting needle accident

Yesterday, Maylee and Mark came for a visit. We were having our quiet day, so no tv. The children were supposed to be cleaning up their rooms, since they failed to do it the day before. So, I sat down to work on a sweater that I have started for Penny, for Christmas. I want to throw it really. It is a k2, p2 rib, but as I increase it, under the arms, it is hard for me to remember which way to increase and in which order. I know that I am supposed to knit it to increase it, even on the purl stitches, but it just doesn't look as pretty as Shena's. I ended up with some p3's and k3's instead of 2's. So, this morning, while waiting in the dentist's office again, I ended up taking out those stitches and beginning again. Hopefully this time it'll look right. Anyway, back to last night. I have mentioned before that Maylee's friend Mark knits and crochets. So, due to boredom, he in a way asked if he could knit something. I gave him a ball of cotton yarn and some straights for him to start a dishcloth or something. We are chatting and he asks hypothetically if a knitting needle could puncture someone. I said yes, depending upon how hard it was thrusted into their body. I mean come on, it is an aluminum, pointed stick. With the right pressure it could do some serious harm. After a few minutes of knitting, he thought that crocheting the dishcloth would be faster, so he switched to a crochet hook instead. Close to 20 minutes or so roll, by and he has crocheted probably 3-5 inches already. He went to move to get comfy on the recliner and all I heard was a "Yelp!" It turned out that as he moved, he flopped back into the chair and a knitting needle that he had been using moved too and as he moved back, he jousted himself, with the knitting needle in his tailbone. It drew blood! Ouch!! So, I guess he answered his own question...and the answer is yes, it is a fact that a knitting needle can puncture skin. Just FYI!

No comments: