Monday, January 7, 2008

messy rooms

As one of our yearly resolutions, we are striving to cleanse our house of stuff. It was a blessing then that the Vietnam Veterans called and said that they were going to be in our neighborhood tomorrow. Today, after a month of seeing the girls' room get nastier and nastier, and to give the Veteran's something for their drive to our house, I decided to get them, the girls, started. With each thing that I picked up off the floor, the angrier & angrier I became. I saw Christmas presents thrown on the floor. The cute outfit that I made Libby, for the Primary program, was wadded up on the floor by Penny's crib. Paper...dang paper is everywhere!! They have swiped extra spiral notebooks from my school supply stash and drawn in all of them. There are probably 5 boxes worth of broken crayons all over the place, again, from my school supply stash.We moved the hamsters upstairs to their rooms and the bedding hadn't been changed, so they stank. Hair things were everywhere. I found a pile of bobby pins, neatly stacked on themselves on the floor, by their door. If they have time to stack them up neatly, then they have time to place them back in the hair baskets under the sink, in the bathroom. I have thrown away so much stuff today. I have 2 bags of clothes that they obviously don't need, a huge bag of garbage, AND we aren't done. I have yet to start in the boys' room. I know, I know, why don't I have them clean their room, right?? Well, I have tried and tried to get them to clean up. Either it is me, in their room with them, yelling at them to pick this up, get that, fold that shirt, hang up your dress, put the socks back in the SOCK drawer, or I send them up and check on them. Then, when I go up to check, they are coloring or fighting. Libby even tries to sneak in the use of headphones and puts on talent shows, all to get out of cleaning their room. I have started them on an allowance and have taken it away piece by piece for not doing their chores. I have threatened them with not going places, like Activity Girls at church, friends houses, with even eating dinner. And there have been Wednesday/ Tuesday nights where they haven't been allowed to go, for either not cleaning their room, or not having their homework completed. What am I doing wrong? Dr. Phil would say for me to get rid of everything they own. Does he mean bag it up and give everything they have away? Everything- that is- but 2 school outfits and a church outfit? Or- does he mean to bag it up and store it, so that they can earn it back? Is it a combination of the two options? I am at that point. However, we have a small place, so where do I store this stuff, without it driving me crazy or paying to rent a storage unit?? Even as I as rambling in this post, I am thinking that once Penny wakes up, I am going to bag up all but one church dress for each of the older girls to wear, with 1 pair of nylons, and 1 pair of shoes. Then bag up all but 3 pairs of pants, and 5 shirts for them to wear to school. They only need 1 set of PJ's and a few pair of undies. Hey- if they mess them up on purpose, then they have to wear them stained. I remember reading somewhere that Madonna does this to her daughter, Lordes, when she has a messy room. She takes away all her clothes except for one outfit that she has to wear everyday. Hey- if it is good for Madonna then it has to be good for the Wardlings as well, right?? Then again, should I be taking advice from the "Material Girl"?

No comments: