Wednesday, January 23, 2008

funeral tackiness

Herbert and Mary Elizabeth

Herbert, Grandma, Mary Elizabeth and Dot


Is it tacky to take pictures @ a funeral?? Sunday morning, my great uncle Johnny past away. He was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and Sunday he was called home. He and his family lived here in town for years upon years, but moved to Alabama a few years ago to be closer to their children. They were in the Guilford Ward. His wife, Dot, children decided to bury him here, so last night I went to the funeral home. His funeral is today and he will be laid to rest @ the Colfax cemetery. Since I have 5 children here aged 4 and under, I'm not going to be able to attend the funeral. Johnny, his family, along with my Grandmother and family were a few of the members who saved and helped provide funds to build the building. Colfax has such a special place in their hearts. Anyway, while at the funeral home, Dad and Mom introduced me to a few of my relatives, to which I hadn't a clue as to who they were. We had the Stake Pres. and his wife along with our past Stake Pres. and wife come to pay condolences. I got to see my Grandmother's brother and sister-in-law, Herbert and Mary Elizabeth & of course Dot and her children, and grandchildren. I remember having family reunions at both Herbert's and Dot's houses as a child. I don't have a picture of these family members, so I sweet talked them into a photo. Herbert and Mary Elizabeth have 7-8 children and 72 grandchildren, and 40 something great- grandchildren. They won prizes year after year @ the State Fair for having that many grandchildren. Wow!! Multiply and replenish the earth!! That's my family! Neat huh? I know there are families with more, I am thinking of all the polygamist families in early Utah that have hundreds of grandchildren and hundreds upon hundreds of great grandchildren and so on... Back to the picture...I got a picture of the siblings who were able to attend the funeral, but using care not to photograph the coffin to the left. I think that would've been tacky.

There was another family member there, a man, who was older...he was wearing a cowboy hat, and was sporting a pony tail, that was about as long as mine. This isn't what impressed me though. What impressed me was that he was wearing a dress shirt with his name embroidered on the collar. Clyde would have flipped and gotten onto me for not embroidering his name on his collars. The man told me that he didn't have a shirt that didn't have his name on it, either on the collar or on the cuff. Way snazzy!! All he was missing were cuff links to make his suit that much snazzier.

Children update...

I think that I am winning the food battle. Madi was still crying ast night at dinner, but ate our version of gorditas just fine. They were a bit hungry yesterday and were very excited to see the Wheat thins. I made them each say please before they got one. Zoey picked up on it right away, but Madi refused. So, she didn't get one. After a few minutes of not getting one, when the other girls did, she started signing please. Zoey seems so sad. I think that she is going a bit house crazy, because whenever someone leaves, she cries to have her jacket. Her sadness is more than simply not leaving the house though. She is so emotionally fragile. I hope that she can relax and be herself soon, without any worries.

No comments: