Monday, February 18, 2008

weekend happenings...


This past weekend was just like any other busy weekend for us. We had gotten a phone call about Wednesday/ Thursday-ish from the little girls' mother. She told us that she was getting an apartment and moving in on Saturday. She wanted to come and get her girls that day as well. I talked her into Sunday instead of Saturday, because, when we have moved, the last thing that we need is to have little feet running around and under our feet. She agreed and said that she would be here around 1pm. Her paternal Grandmother gave me a call last week and said that she didn't know that the little girls were here in town and when she found out that they had already been here for 5 weeks, she really was upset. She first got wind of them being here, from a Thank You note that I had sent her for a gift that Dwyuler (their mother's mother) and given me last Saturday when I got Kerstin. I just can't, not send a thank you note. It's not in me to skip a thank you note. She called and we talked on the phone about this and up until the day before or so, when their mother called her, she hadn't a clue as to what the poop was going on. We arranged a meeting for Saturday. I need to mention that the Grandma lives... Oh.... maybe 2 miles away from me. She said that had she known that the kids were in town, that she would've loved to have taken them for a few hours, a few days, each week. She came and visited and that lady knows alot of detail that is another piece to this bizarre puzzle. While Grandma was here, she gets a phone call from the little girls' mother. She tells her Grandma that she didn't get the apartment because she as a server in a resturant, doesn't have steady enough income to be able to afford the rent and that she didn't know what she was going to do. I took that as a, "I'm not coming this weekend" type of call. Talk is cheap in this matter...I am waiting for actions. So, for the rest of the day and Sunday morning, I expected that phone call. It never came. My in-laws drove up to visit the girls before their mother came to get them. The mother did come and get her girls yesterday. I feel terrible about it. I have no legal rights to fight her on this either. She seemed happy to see the girls, but was hesitant to even hug or hold them. Zoey recognized her mother and went to her, but Madi did not. She didn't want to have anything to do with her. My in-laws were trying to get the girls to go downstairs with them, and Madi cried until I got her. I'm sure that was hard on their mother. Clyde and I talked to their mother for awhile and I could tell that she was eating the crap so that she could leave. I just wanted to make sure that they had a place to go that was safe and that the girls would be protected. I told her how I felt about the situation as did she and Clyde. I think that it went well, but I have no clue as to how and if my words were used when re-telling the situation to others. Later last night, I got a phone call from the Mother's step-dad. He tells me how they can notice a significant difference in the girls behavior. When it was dinner time, for example, the girls ran to the table and sat down. That's new to them. He said, "Good job." What does that mean. I know he was trying to praise me, but I just have mixed feelings about this situation. Why as grandparents did they not step in before things got bad enough that the girls physically needed to be moved out of the house? Why had they not stepped in earlier when they had first hand knowledge of this messy situation and want to protect the girls andwhat have they sent them back too? Neither the dad or the mother have a place of their own to live. She is living with some friend and the dad is SOL. What the POOP!! After being in this situation for 5 1/2 weeks it had really made me appreciate my family more...my husband and children. They have been excellent troopers through this. This experience has totally change us. All of my children came up to me and asked why they were leaving and later last night, & how much they missed them. Our house is alot quieter today. The little girls made alot of noise!! But on the other hand, I already miss the noise.

No comments: