Thursday, May 13, 2010

mother's day 2010

Saturday, I spent a good portion of the day at Colfax Ward Building, preparing chicken to go on a spit, in preparation for girls camp.  The idea came to me, when the head hauncho's of camp didn't want to use dutch ovens for the certification for the 1st and 2nd year campers, to cook 2 things outdoors.  In my camp days, we made hobo meals.  Apparently the girls have become snobbish and have refused to eat hobo meals.  I guess I just have this thing that I was raised with..."eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." (I even have a sign that says that over my kitchen sink that my mom painted and at one time hung in her house.)  My assignment was to think outside the hobo meals.  A spit...roasting chicken over a spit would be glorious.  I got the A-ok to do so and even had a man build me a spit.  Fast forward to Saturday...long story short, the fire was beautiful, the spit did not work.  the chickens were way the heck to heavy for the spit to turn.  Even after we removed a good portion of these raw, whole birds, it was too heavy to turn. We tried tying the birds to the rod itself and the hole in the birds were too big and the chicken wouldn't turn. It would have been frustrating had I been alone, but to have 20 twenty flip flopped, gum smacking teen aged girls staring at me and complaining about seeing a whole dead bird, was a bit much.  So the birds were removed, wrapped in foil and laid on the fire to cook.  They did cook and beautifully I might add...it just took for-EVER.  I even cut apart 3 birds to be foiled, hoping that the process would go smoother.  The biggest complaint that I got was how long it took.  Due to the possibility of salmonella and killing someone, I temped every piece to be sure that it was a good 180*.  The head lady said that we just didn't have that type of time @ GC to check every piece.  Oh by golly, we will be making time, that's fo sho.  I will not have sick girls on my watch.

Long story told to just have said, due to the outside fire, I got one raging headache.  Even after coming home and doing our Saturday stuff didn't cure it.  I remember saying before I went to bed, that I was sick with a SPLITTING sinus headache.  Woke up with it as well.  It didn't and hasn't really gone away either and we are now to Thursday.  However, Clyde made me a lovely breakfast and even got the Wardlings dressed to go to church, which left me alone to enjoy mother's day in silence...for a few hours anyway.

I was spoiled above all spoiled this Mother's day...lotions, handmade cards, a ped egg (gross i know, but my heels needed some serious help) and a gadget that I have been wanting for sometime. I love my family! We even made it to my Grandma's house and my parents house for an afternoon of visiting. Penny was funny @ my parents house.  She nagged PopPop until he took her outside to see the 'nay' (horse).  They helped feed the chickens and horse and then Dad and I checked out their garden and got some tips for our garden. Loved seeing all my family who made it to my folks house.

Then we got a few more visitors that evening...Papa and Grammy, along with uncle Rusty came in from the beach of Myrtle.  We loved spending the day with them. Grammy and Penny picked strawberries, while my Dad came here to help work in our garden. Lovely lovely day.

On the first day of the EOG's, Penny crept down to snuggle with Grammy.  I took the boys out for breakfast do our company could actually sleep past 6am.  Penny is such the helper, telling Grammy how to pick the strawberries, and then such the snuggles.  All in all...a super dooper Mother's Day weekend/week...minus the headache. :)

No comments: