Wednesday, January 26, 2011

her favorite fruit

As Penny was eating breakfast this morning, she had her princesses in front of her. (I have noticed lately that she keeps them on the dresser beside her bunk bed at night and looks at them while falling asleep.) She wanted to take the princesses to school. We have an agreement, that if she takes a toy to school that it #1 has her name on it and b- that it must stay in her backpack. She has agreed to the above rules. I was writing her name on the bottom of her toys when I asked her if she liked her name. She told me no. I asked her what name she would like to have and she grabbed Ariel, the mermaid, and said, "her name." My theory is that she grabbed the closest princess to her and chose that one. (She agreed with my theory.) Then she said, "Mom they are all good people." while she pointed to her princesses. Yes they are all good people.

This morning was a funny one for me and I didn't have anyone to witness it. Clyde has similar stories but my recent most favorite is one  that happened  in Lancaster, PA this summer involving some slim jims, sprite, a flat of water and a box of tampons. Funny story, but one that'll have to be flipped to get the whole hilariousness of the situation.

Every morning there is a man who volunteers at the school, helping children out of their parent's cars. He is very friendly, very southern, and very hippie...you know "peace e'rybody" etc. etc. I sometimes have extra non wardling children with me and today he said, "you just confuse me with these children, you remind me of that poem..." That's when I said, "the little old lady who lived in a shoe, who had so many children, she didn't know what to do?" "That's the one!" said he. Nice...I'm an old lady. Then he shouts across the parking lot, "But I'm not gonna call you the old Lady though!" alrighty...

My morning doesn't end there. I had to go to the blue super store to buy a few ingredients for tonight's dinner. I walk up to the meat counter and get hit on by the butcher, which is something, because it isn't 8am yet. When I get up to the register to pay, I get a talkative cashier. Let's call her Alice. She notes my ingredients and chats about how she doesn't like lasagna and something about baby showers and then she sees my choice of soda. Call me redneck but I really like some grapefruit soda. That started this conversation..."Do you know what my favorite fruit is?" No, I just met you. "I love me some grapefruit. I can't drink it no more because of the yeast infections it gives me. One time I drank a glass of grapefruit and the next morning, I was burnin' so bad, I thought my boyfriend had given me somethin. I went to the dr. and he wanted a urinalysis and I told him it stung too bad to pee so he had to use a catheter. All he could smell was grapefruit! He axed me if I had been drinking grapefruit juice and said that I was allergic to it. I love me some grapefruit but it gives me the yeast, so I can't eat it no more." Thanks Alice for making my day, and all this before 8:10am. Thank you!!

3 comments:

Maylee said...

Cute about Penny, and Wow is all i can say about the cashier. I don't have the patience i used to have for those kinds of people!!

Mary said...

i laughed out loud! thanks for writing about alice!

Bubbie said...

HA,HA,HA,HA!!! You can't say we Southerners aren't friendly...but my word! Over the counter yeast infections?? Ick! But, let's face it honey, you are a pretty girl..can't blame the butcher..you got it going on! Mom xox(in a good way,ha,ha,ha)