Saturday, January 22, 2011

grind it twice, baby

Today I decided to break out my wheat grinder and hand grind some wheat for bread. I have been spoiled by a friend who loaned me her electric grinder.  I love her electric wheat grinder. I'd love one for our family for Christmas...hint, hint. The wardlings were surprised with how hard it was to crank the grinder to grind the wheat.  They were breaking a sweat! We did learn that with the hand grinder that the wheat must be ground twice and maybe even three times to actually get it a bit finer. The first grinding is quite coarse while the second time around made it smaller, but not like the electric one.

 The bag on the left are some oat groats ground with the electric grinder. The bag on the right is some hard white wheat hand ground.  The left is lighter and more flourery, while the right is just coarser.
 I was curious to see if the dough would be any different with the different texture to the flour.  It was interesting to me that the dough rose, just like normal. It was just grainier.
The bread turned out great too. It was just what we needed on this cold, very cold...22* Saturday. Thanks Clyde for modeling my bread.

No comments: