Thursday, February 10, 2011

new gig

Monday was such a fun day! I met up with my friend, Ashley, at the ole Hobby Lobby for some hairbow making supplies. When we were finished, my Dad called and we were able to spend the afternoon together, looking in Lowe's Hardware and eating lunch @ Cracker Barrel (my fav-o resturant). I loved spending time with my Dad. We don't get to see each other often and when we do, I love every minute of it! On the way home, I got a call from Sis. Dunlap asking me if I was busy these days. As it happens she needed help in her costume shop and I was more than happy to help out. She has 3 plays going on at one time and let me tell you, that is alot of costumes!  Tuesday began my first day there. We were working on the play, "The Scarlet of Pimpernel." It is a period piece dealing with French ball gowns and so many uniforms! My job was to add some detail along with any missing notions (buttons mainly) and altering the costume to fit the actor. My first job was to handsew 3 white bows down the front of a purple velvet ball gown and some lace onto the sleeve to dress it up. The dress below is a garden dress for the play; I took it in, hemmed the slip with the hemmer machine (awesome machinery btw) and added the lace down the front. It still needed a bit of sumpthin' sumpthin, so I made the pink flowered and feathered corsage.

Yesterday was a busy busy day @ the shop. I altered dressy uniform coats, pants, added buttons to make colonel's coat dressier, made the ruffles worn by men in the front of their shirts (jabots...it's french so it is pronounces ja-beaux), and ruffly sleeve inserts. (6 sets) Most of the work was done by hand and my finger tips are a bit tender. Last night we finished that show.  On to the next...

Today began the production of Hairspray. My job was to look through all the wigs and find the 40 that were needed for the production. I found a bouffant for Tracy's character along with a few blond wigs for other characters. I even made a 60's updo for another character. It does need some bling or headband or something to complete it. I left the shop a bit early and went to a local wig shop, to compare prices of what we could order in a wig catalog from a company out of New York that provides all the wigs and beards for the pageant our church puts on, vs locally. The catalog wins by lots!

 
Tomorrow's work will be about the same. I have done some research on 60's hair and have plans to hopefully bring the wigs to life and full of sixties height and style. Let's hope this works out well!

1 comment:

Silas said...

Clyde don't get any ideas with these wigs.