Thursday, September 9, 2010

the scarlet letter

In the 10th grade we were required to read Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. It was a story of lust, love, adultery, imprisonment, illegitimate children...etc etc.  The things teenagers love to read about.  Anyway- the main character, Hester Prynne, had to wear an "A",  scarlet red, that was sewn onto the front of her dresses because she committed adultery.  Ever since reading that story, I have not wanted to wear anything monogrammed on my sweaters/ shirts because of the "A". Even though the A in my case is for Ashley, I just couldn't seem to get the 'adulterer' part out of my mind.  However, Clyde totally changed my mind with the above ring that he gave me for my birthday.  He and the Wardlings went to the mall in search of the most perfect birthday gifts.  I got sweatpants...hooray!!, 6 bottles of B and B works lotion. (The store was having a sale on and so each of the Wardlings got to choose a fragrance for me.  Josh went into the store, ran to grab my favorite, warm vanilla sugar, gave it to Clyde and said, "I'm done.") I also got some beautiful Swarovski, sterling earrings...absolutely stunning and the ring above. Clyde said that Penny chose the earrings and the big girls helped with the ring.  I'd say I have an awesome husband and family and all of them have fabulous taste. Happy birthday to me!!

2 comments:

Bubbie said...

Oh aren't you the luckiest girl in the world!What a wonderful birthday! Thanks for the picture of the beautiful ring...you know, I never realized that about your preference to leave off 'A's' because of that movie/book! Learn something new every day:). Anyway, Happy,happy birthday! And I did put yours in the mail...yea!

clyde said...

I'd have to agree with you about your husband.