Saturday, January 30, 2010

a little bit of this, a little bit of that

Snow, snow, and more snow covers the ground here @ the brown house.  It is too cold, 17* to be exact,  to even let the Wardlings out to play or the dogs out longer than it takes to use the bathroom.  A perk to being snowed in, are the movies we get to watch.  Today on Turner Classic movies was the film, Fiddler on the Roof.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy that film until today.  We caught the movie nearly on the half way mark, right when Tevya is telling his wife, Golde, about the dream he had about Lazar Wolfe's dead wife. (This film also reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth removed.  Clyde and I were about 3 weeks away from being married.  It was a snowy day, like today.  He came with my Mom to the oral surgeons office to wait.  I so gracefully talked about the rabbit from Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, while making some obscene rabbit jesture with my hands, after my surgery and while on drugs.  I also threw up blood in the parking lot in front of my future in-laws, who also came to check on me...but alas, my point.  Clyde gave me the soundtrack to Fiddler on the Roof to listen to, whilest recovering.  It played constantly and let me just say how freaky it is to wake up, while on pain meds to Tevye's 'dream' to talk Golde into letting Tzietel marry Motel. I'd say, dang near scary. Especially when Fruma-Sarah is screaming.) Anyway...As the movie progresses and their 'traditions' are being bent or broken with Tevye's 3 eldest daughters; Tzeitel, Hodel, and Chava, it got me thinking about my life, with my husband, and our children.  How would I feel if the traditions/beliefs that Clyde and I have taught our children, our way of life is bent or broken.  And by traditions I mean our faith being Latter-Day Saints.  How far would we be willing to bend?  if we bent at all.  I watched Tevye's face as his daughters made their life's decisions.  Some expressions were joyous and others were heartbreaking.  Each time a change occured he looked back at his daughters growing up, here, here, and here. (I know it's long...getting to my points about 2 minutes in.)  I understand that life changes.  I'm sure we will question our job at parenting that particular child.  Did we make the right choice, or did we make mistake after mistake?? Our children must grow to make their own choices and decisons.   I want them to be happy.  I know they will have to make some mistakes. I also know that as a parent, I don't think there will ever be a time when we don't pray, like Tevye, "Take Care of her {or him}.  See that she {or he} dresses warm." or at other times, "There is no other hand."

2 comments:

Silas said...

We made Silas go out and play yest. and said don't knock until dark. I think the Wardlings can make it.

ashley said...

we played outside today. it lasted for about 30-40 minutes. that was all folks.