Friday, September 9, 2011

car crash

We were in a car crash on the 3rd of September, old news if you saw pix on FB. I have to say that car crashes are no fun. We were traveling from the Emerald City to the mountains for baby E's blessing. While driving on I-40, through Statesville, Clyde noticed that a white van in front of us had his brake lights on. Clyde began to slow down. Upon closer inspection, he saw that the van wasn't just slowing down, but was completely stopped. Clyde then slammed on the brakes. I really thought that we were going to stop. I thought that it was going to be a close call, but that we were going to stop. Clyde did everything in his power to get the van to stop, but couldn't. Before we hit the van in front of us, he said, "I'm sorry!, I'm Sorry!" to us in the van. He then reached over with his right hand to hold me back. I saw the car and the accident happen. It was so scary! Once we hit, both Clyde and I turned around to check on the 3 youngest Wardlings that we had with us. Once we saw that they were ok, Clyde jumps outta the van and starts in on the man. I have rarely heard such expletives come from my sweetums' mouth. My reaction was to write down the man's tag numbers in fear that he would drive away. I spent the majority of my time on the phone with 911 and with our insurance. Police were on the scene within 15 minutes. Meanwhile more words were exchanged. It is important to note that the man was stopped for no apparent reason. There wasn't a car, a deer, a child in front of him. We think that since he lived in Charlotte that he had missed his exit and thought that he could stop and make his way across the interstate.
The biggest blessing to us was that an older man who witnessed the whole accident, stopped and stayed until police arrived, and gave his statement and is even willing to testify in court, if need be, in our defense. He even risked his life, standing on the freeway under the bridge, to motion others to go around us. (What was so amazing was that we were getting yelled at by cars on the highway and not in a good way.) He was our saving grace! He'll be getting a sweet fruit basket from us.

The police gave the driver of the white van a citation. The man wasn't kind and was quite belligerent. The police told him that if he wasn't going to cooperate that they would arrest him and bring him before the magistrate on Tuesday.

      Here our van is bleeding to death...
This is the other van. Hardly a scratch!

                        These are our skid marks.
This could not have come at the worst time. It was Labor day weekend with all rental car places closed. I had envisioned, a car rental place coming to pick us up and we'd be on our way. Totally wrong. We caught a ride from one of the 3 police officers and the rest of us piled into the back of the tow truck. (The below picture is one that I took while in the back seat of the tow truck.) He dropped us off at a close Wal-Mart, where we emptied out the van and waited, still in shock and misbelief.
So @ this point we were on foot. We were everso grateful for Maylee's Jared for coming to get us, because we looked absolutely pitiful with our belongings in a shopping cart. With all the rental car places closed and after telling our insurance agent to get on the ball, we found a car rental place in Asheville. Jared dropped us off at a hotel, then he and Clyde made the extra hour long journey into the Asheville airport to get a car, so we'd have transportation home. (Thank you Jared and Maylee!)
Thankfully we were all ok. I was able to get the Wardlings in to see their pediatrician, and they all checked out fine. They are still a bit traumatized when getting in a car. They have all had bad dreams about the wreck and Jacob has realized his mortality. A big thing to a 7 year old, or anyone really. Clyde and I have been seeing a chiropractor. My recovery is going to be long process. I have been feeling pain in my lower neck and right shoulder, that is causing tingles down my right arm and into my pinky and ring fingers. My lower back is also being treated for injuries. Clyde is healing up a bit faster, which is awesome!

I must say a huge Thank you to Cheryl for giving me a lift to the rental car place! I really appreciated you coming to my aid! xo!!

2 comments:

Maylee said...

I'm so thankful that it wasn't any worse, and that guy who hit you didn't scram, and the fella that helped you was so cool about helping you! I'm interested to know more about Jacob's new opinion on mortality..

gleehorse said...

WOW. I've been wondering about the whole story. The attitude the gave guy is absolutely INSANE. I guess he's just one of those that doesn't want to think about what he really did. I'm sorry you are still hurting. :( Far as the nightmares....my mom's car rolled backwards when she was putting groceries in, when I was about 5 or 6 years old. She jumped in and stopped it...no harm done. I had nightmares/bad dreams about it, off and on, for MANY years. So yeah...it may take a while. Poor kids. Poor you guys! :( Do you think this will have to go to court?