Thursday, July 16, 2009

libby's beginning


In a few hours, Libby will be 11. Eleven years ago, right now @ 10pm, Clyde and I were on our way to our apartment complex's pool. In Asheville, once a year the city turns off the water, city wide and flushes the pipes...which means for 3 days...no water. I had been contracting since the afternoon showing of Barney, Erin was a huge fan, @ 4pm. I had a Homemaking even to go to, so Mom, Erin, and I went, whilst I was in labor. Anyway, since there wasn't any water, Clyde and I walked down to the pool, timing contractions, and Clyde took a mini bath in the pool. Mom and I left the Homemaking mtg. a bit early and the RS Pres stopped us in the little hallway. Mom told her that I had been contracting and that we needed to go home. I'll spare you all the details, but @ a little after 4am and non-working nubane shots and epidural later...not to mention the epidural going in the wrong vertebrae twice, Libby was born. We were thrilled to have another girl! (We didn't know gender.) The RS Pres. called our house the next morning, to check in on me and she jokingly asked if there was a baby, to which Mom told her indeed there was. (I should include that Libby was 2 weeks early & I had already been to the hospital once that week in a dehydrated labor. They wouldn't induce because I wasn't technically 38 weeks and it was unethical to induce prior 38 weeks. I was totally bummed.) The RS Pres was shocked that I had gone to Homemaking. Since I had had false labor for about a week, I didn't think anything of it. Libby was such a happy baby. Erin was thrilled to meet her. She turned purple screaming, "Baby, baby! Baby, Baby!!!" could not wait to hold her. We figured that since the girls were so close, 17 months and 20 days close, that it was more of a reunion that a first meeting. We love having Libby as a part of our family. Libby, Happy 11th birthday sweetheart! more pictures tomorrow...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look so young in those delivery pix. You were a baby yourself!!pretion

Cathy said...

Happy birthday, Libby!

ashley said...

i was young; 20.

Anonymous said...

I love the hair Ashley. A taste of Asia.