Monday, July 27, 2009

girls camp




For the last week, Erin and I have been @ camp. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to my parents, to Michelle A. and for Ricky who helped us out so much while I was away. Clyde had a class and needed some help with watching the Wardlings. THANK YOU!!

The gals, who planned camp, kept us super busy all week long. Erin was able to participate in activities such as swimming, archery, crafting, low ropes, zip lines, big swings, starting fires, putting out fires, first aid, recycling, knot tying, modesty/ appropriate clothing fashion show cooking in dutch ovens and getting to meet new gals. She was able to go to spiritual devotionals every day and learn more about the gospel. The food @ camp was amazing! We had loads of fruit and veggies, not to mention the yumminess of the main dishes!

We had 10 girls in our cabin, one wanted to switch cabins after the 2nd day. All was good. To be honest I didn't know what the drama was about for days. I didn't remember there being so much drama when I went to camp, but after spending 5 full days with 30, 12 year old girls, I now have learned a few things. On Wednesday another gal joined our cabin to team with me as another adult. I didn't think that she was needed, until she got there. I was super grateful for her presence and of course another witness. I was amazed @ how cruel some of the girls were. I expected better behavior from a girls church camp. Thankfully some of the girls were oblivious, but there were others who were quite aware and had feelings hurt. I can't honestly say that I had a blast @ all times because of the way some of the girls were treated and thank goodness I had a thick skin. Some of the girls in my cabin were not the nicest...even to me. I am so glad that I have some boldness to me & that I was around to help Erin out in a few situations. I realized that the world that we live in today, is not the world that I grew up in.

The first year girls were required to go on a 2 mile hike. Since the camp that we stayed in was very close to Hanging Rock park- that is where we hiked. I loved it. It reminded me of the trek and I totally loved spending time with Erin on a hike. We saw some huge rocks, water falls, and I had memories surface. I remember every fourth of July for years going to the Kernersville Parade and then going to Hanging Rock to play in the lake and playing in the sand. I remember walking up to different picnic areas with my parents and grandparents. Needless to say it had been years, but it was so much fun that day.

Erin was so brave during the week. She has always loved big roller coasters and so she was thrilled to participate on the zip line. I probably would have peed my pants once I reached the top of the ladder thing to the zip line platform. I do not know if i could willingly bounce off the edge onto the cord. But she did it...the first one for our group too! Then there was the big swing. I think that Erin thought that it would be similar to the zip line. She asked me with her big brown doe eyes if I would be her partner. Man did I get suckered in. I was happy to have the experience with Erin but- holy poop- was that big swing scary! We were harnessed in and the only thing that attached us, besides the death grip we had on the trapeze bar thing, was one little hook. Our weight was on a few yards of webbing and I have to say that it totally hurt our crotches. Of course we forgot the pain when i let go of the webbing holding us up, to drop us and swing us about 50 feet. I am in NO hurry to do that again!!

I volunteered to help @ the pool each day. On the 1st day of camp, we all had to have a swim test, to see our abilities. Erin and I, along with all the other gals who wanted to swim, passed the test. We each had to wear a wrist band to prove our passing. One day the life guard had started a game of sharks and minnows that was loads of fun, until there was only 1 or 2 minnows left to which tempers started flying. I had to stop the game because the 12 year old emotions were getting the better of them. :)

There was a challenge to see who could be @ the flag pole the first each morning. The cabin that was there first, in entirety won a gold coin and could eat breakfast first. The last cabin to arrive was stuck with KP. Our cabin, The Black Pearl, won twice. We were so very excited! We had a 6:30am wake up call to get the girls up, dressed and @ the flag pole.

For Bishop's night, Pop Pop and Bubbie came to visit the girls in their ward. We snuck in to eat with Mom and Dad, after going with our Bishop and ward girls for our FHE. The Bishops were such good sports. One new Bishop, in our stake came downstairs to the Hotel lobby wearing a white button up shirt, tie, and dress pants. I think he was surprised in my asking if he had been to the Bishops nite @ camp before. He was surprised to learn that he was so totally dressed wrong. He saw what my Dad and our Bishop was wearing and went to change...good thing too because there was a chocolate pie eating contest that got very messy. (Our Bishop won that contest.)
The girls also did a big service project for the camp ground. There was an old "S" in front of the lodge when we arrived and we all took turns everyday mulching or planting new plants to make it pretty. The frst years worked on putting in the "S", staking in the tubing and putting in the heavy rock. It turned out really pretty. They also tied a few quilts for charity.
All in all, camp was a positive experience. Both Erin and I are excited to share the camping experience with Libby next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looked too hot for me and do much walking. Go Erin!

Caroline Dougherty said...

Thank You SOOO much for all that you did at camp i grately appreiciate it. You have changed my life forever, and i can't wait to go back next year and have you in the cabion agian.