Wednesday, April 28, 2010

side of caution

Yesterday I had a bunch of children in my care.  When we got home from speech and emptied the 5 carseats, I had one baby in a carseat on my arm, Penny by the front door of the van and another toddler by my legs.  Penny closed the front door and right as I closed the van's door, she moved her hand and I slammed it in the door. I caught her left thumb, from the thumb itself to the wrist, in the door.  It hurt horribly, so I iced it, made a sling for her, gave her ibuprophen and within 30 minutes she put herself down for a nap. She seemed fine for the rest of the afternoon, but began complaining of pain again in the evening.  It was really sore this morning.  So, to ere on the side of caution, I took her into an urgent care today to have it x-rayed.  Good news is that it isn't broken. Bad news is that her hand was slammed in a door and will be bruised for awhile.  The bruised picture below doesn't give the bruising any credit.  It will be nastier.  I feel like a lump of poo for closing the door on her hand.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Poor Penny! I'm so glad it's not broken, though.

gleehorse said...

Don't feel so bad. I did it to Celeste a long time ago. I mean, she was 3 or something. She still remembers it and reminds me of it about once a year. :(

dede said...

been there, done that.
don't feel too bad.