Saturday, April 17, 2010

can't win

This week, one that was supposed to be calm, turned into quite a busy one.  All a good busy, but busy none the less.  Today was just another busy day, to conclude our week.  It began at the butt crack of early, to get 2 wardlings to the stake center for a church program and me off to colfax ward building for a camp meeting, where I taught 4 classes.  Recycling, sanitation, and plant ID went fine, yadda yadda, but teaching the young gals how to tie a bowline, taut line, a square knot and a double half hitch was a bit more draining. I can tie these knots in my sleep, as I actually did dream about them last night.  This week, I decided that it was time, half past- way past time to get my hair cut.  The cut went alright.  I am still trying to decide if I like it.  I'll give it a few days to see if it grows on me.

Once home from getting my hair cut,  buying milk, eggs, a loaf of bread, and getting gas in Clyde's car, I had a few minutes of down time. Clyde was once again super dad, picking the wardlings up from church and even stopping to get ice cream for them. Clyde went to Mastodon late in the afternoon and we went to the Boops house for dinner. We had a lovely time too.  Thank you!
Libby has been begging me for a haircut for a long time.  Erin too for that matter.  I was trying my best to drag my feet on cutting Libby's hair in particular.  She has grown it out for so long and it was so pretty.  She however obsessively talked about it that I gave in.  She wanted a nice chunk of hair removed.  We measured it out and from where she wanted it cut, there were 10 inches of hair...enough to donate.  I told her that if we cut her hair that short, a pony tail would be no longer. I said that pigtails would be in her future.  She happily  said, "I'm fine with pigtails!" Me: your sure...you are beyond positive.  We could make it longer.
L: No right here is fine.
Me: Let me cut it a bit longer...we could always go shorter.
L: ok
snip, snip, snip, snip, snip
blow dry...
"GASP!"

...and more tears than I have ever seen spew forth from any child.  "I didn't know it would be that short!!"  Are you for real? I have begged you and begged you to keep it longer and checked, double checked, QUADRUPLE checked that you knew how short it would be  and you are claiming that you didn't realize it would be that short??!!!  It was such a Jo March moment from "Little Women."  So, the short of it, is that I feel like a craptacular Mom tonight. I hugged and kissed her. She gave me tears and more tears, along with some hyperventilating, and then gave me questions like...can I get hair extensions? before just hugging her again, drying her eyes and sending her off to bed. The thing is, is that the hair cut is SO CUTE on her.  drama of a preteen. geesh! I didn't dare take an after photo.
      Erin also got a hair cut tonight, along with a trim for Penny.  Erin wanted a  {gulp...bigger GULP}  Kate Gosselin haircut. stacked yes, angled yes...a donald duck fan tail that sticks out of the back of your head... H-E-C-K (trying to keep it clean here) NO!

 So, Ashley, what have you learned??? Well, Ashley and thanks for asking, I have learned that I will from now on pay someone else to cut Libby's hair, so she is mad @ them and not me for doing exactly what she asked me to do. Ashley out.

No comments: