Tuesday, March 2, 2010

happy birthday dr. seuss

Today at the boys' school, to celebrate the birth of Dr. Seuss, they were allowed to dress up as their favorite Seuss character.  We thought and thought about which one to be.  First, Jacob wanted to be the Grinch...
And Josh wanted to be Sam I am...
After looking at a few Seuss books we settled on Fox in Socks and the Cat in the Hat.
Now the tricky part...making costumes.  Thankfully Walmart was on our side.  Since the changing of the seasons is upon us, they had so gracefully marked down their sweat clothing.  We were lucky to find a red sweatshirt and pants, along with a black sweatshirt and pants for $1 each.  To make the details, (like Jacob's hat and tail, Josh's tail and hat)I bought an additional red shirt and black pants and a 3 pair pack of blue socks for the fox.  I had some white terry cloth fabric in my stash for the cat's tummy, gloves, and hat.  I think our version turned out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.
Jacob as Fox in socks
Josh as The Cat in the Hat
happy boy wardlings...priceless.

They were thrilled to put on their costumes this morning, but as we pulled up to school, Josh had taken his hat off and Jacob was way quiet.  Clyde and I insisted that they wear a t-shirt under their sweatshirts with tails BTW, just in case they got embarrassed and wanted to take it off.  We told them in case they got 'hot.'  This was a fun project that didn't break the bank and we have more costumes for the dress-up box.

I found these videos of the the books and thought they were fun.  Fox in Socks is so hard to read aloud, that this versioin made it easier to watch and listen too, rather than to read to the boys aloud.  talk about ultimate tongue twister. 

3 comments:

gleehorse said...

Very cool! And which Walmart was that? I checked Battleground, but only down to $3. :(

ashley said...

cone walmart...and in the boys section.

Maylee said...

I want outfits like these, and Jonas got in the car yesterday, from us picking him up from school, only to tell us ALL about Dr. Seuss!!!